Is Your Property Ready in Case of A Fire?
Fire Lane Tips for Apartment Communities:
- Fire Trucks need 20' of street or driveway clearance to enter your property, with an overhead clearance of 14'.
- Fire lanes must be clearly marked and stenciled.
- Fire lane signs must be posted.
- Buildings must be marked with building and unit numbers at both ends.
- Post signs letting the Fire Department know if fire hydrants are on the property.
- Check windows with burglar bars to make sure they will open from the inside without a key or special tool.
- Make sure your dumpster areas are free of debris that might cause fires. Dumpsters should also be 10' away from buildings and overhangs.
- Keep residents from barbecuing too close to the building (10' minimum distance) by providing grills.
- Check to make sure smoke detectors and fire extinguishers are operating properly. If you don't allow smoking at your property, post No Smoking signage throughout.
- Inspect fire alarm system regularly.
- Get buildings inspected regularly so no wires are hanging or exposed. Building should be properly wired and have no structural defects.
- Check pool light to make sure it is grounded properly.
- Check with your local fire department to make sure you are in compliance with local ordinances.